Subject: Re: Split or don't split arm32?
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/20/2000 08:54:04
At 12:45 PM 12/20/2000 +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
>In article <m2n.s.148iGY-000pkG@chiark.greenend.org.uk> you write:
> >       Given the discussions on a common ELF format for arm26 and arm32
> >       code, might it make more sense to work towards a common 'arch/arm'
> >       and then separate arm26, riscpc, shark, cats, and others ports.
>
>Actually, I think there'll still be a need for some common arm32 code for
>locore-type stuff, the pmap etc.

Actually, using arch/arm as the common cpu directory would make then easier.
That means I could avoid changing arch/arm32 and just move over the appropriate
files.  And if arm32/arm26 share the same executeable format, it makes more
sense for them to share the arch-dependent files.

>I suspect the thing to do for a new arm32 platform would be to import it as
>a new port, pulling in arm32 bits as necessary, and use this as an
>opportunity to work out what needs changing in the arm32 tree to allow
>separate ports.  Then, as we get maintainers for the new ports, they can
>sort out separating them.

Actually, I'd do the above and make new platform directories.  eventually
arm32 would then go away.  This is closer to the way mips is done which
supports lots of processors and different instruction sets.