Subject: Xserver problems on RISCPC?
To: Frank Wennmohs <frankw@bph.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/06/2000 21:47:23
Hello Frank.
 > Hello all!
 >
 > Does anyone encounter similar problems like not fully drawn
 > icon and window contents under X? If you move the mouse pointer over
 > them, the contents are being drawn. (NetBSD1.4.2 and NetBSD1.5)
 > (eg xkeycaps, xcalc)
 >
 > Is this connected to the problem, that mozilla cannot draw the
 > window contents in its main window?
 > Or is there now a fully working version of mozilla out there?
 >
 > fw

Yes I experienced similar problems under v1.4.2 and I never found a
way to solve them. Unfortunately, a few months ago my video-output
of the RiscPC broke down, so I am now unable to do any serious work
on the machine, although I can telnet to it, if only I can get it
to boot :-(

I then installed v1.4.2 on an Intel machine and once again
experienced the same problem. By accident / trial and error I
discovered that the X server was running 8bpp. For fun I tried
running it with 16bpp, and voila, there I had it: Netscape and
all other sorts of windows fully redrawn :-)

I use the command:

startx -- -bpp 16

to start the Xserver in 16 bit-mode.

I don't know if this can be done on the NetBSD/arm32, but I guess
so. At least you could give it a try (and give me a notice if it
works!)

Best regards
   Ib-Michael Martinsen
--