Subject: Re: New bootloader for testing.... - significant update
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/01/2000 09:53:50
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > Once again tried it both on an NC and an A7000 (12MB).
>
> Were these tried with the newest A7000 kernel suplied together with the
> newest version of the bootloader ?

No, they weren't. Just tried it now though. The kernel now prints
"Undefined instruction in kernel. Heavy man!" over and over again.

> > On the NC it doesn't get that far. The error "No DRAM maped in this
> > program (wierd) (sic) ... Increase Wimpslot?". Tried increasing the
> > Wimpslot as high as 8MB; still no joy.
> >
> > Reported messages:
> >
> > Used 1st Mb of DRAM at 0x10000000 for video memory
> > Found DRAM (0) at 0x10100000 for     15360 k
> > Found DRAM (1) at 0x14000000 for     16384 k
> > Found VRAM (0) at 0x00000000 for         0 k
> >
> > Found memory blocks 0x100AD000-0x100F3000  0x100FB000-0x1073F000
>
> This is on the NC ? it seems to have a 32 Mb SIMM

Yes, this one does. 16MB makes little difference though (except for the
obvious).

> ... hmm ... there is
> huge block with phys. adres > 0x10100000 (0x10100000-0x1073F000) ... this
> can only be when the number of pages reported isnt correct but it does
> print the range over its treshold !!! so i guess this is the A7000 output
> ?

No, this is the NC. The A7000 reports 6 blocks.

The second of the two blocks is the wimpslot taken by the BtNetBSD
program.

Now, I don't want to wait for the desktop initialisation to complete, so I
was running fastboot from a desktop file. This makes a crucial difference
as the memory is in an entirely different state. If run from a desktop
file, only two blocks are shown. I guess one is system workspace and the
other is the wimpslot for BtNetBSD. After getting into the desktop and
running !BtNetBSD, 5 blocks are reported and what's more, IT BOOTS INTO
THE KERNEL! OK, it bombs out in the same way as on the A7000, but that
further than we've ever got before.

Running !BtNetBSD early on an A7000 doesn't work either. It reports only 2
blocks again. Different error though (Can't use array reference at line
2090)

> And did you also run the FastBoot file ? or the !BtNetBSD application ?
> (parameters)

Makes no difference. The parameters are in the FastBoot file.

--
Stephen