Subject: Re: Netbooting a Shark (was: Shark newbie)
To: Jameel <finlay@rocketmail.com>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/29/2000 23:12:51
In <URL:news:local.netbsd.port-arm32> on Wed 29 Nov, Jameel wrote:
> Inorder for the SHARK to boot from 'net do I have to
> have a DHCP server with tftp enabled.

I would think so, even though I cannot say for certain. This really is
outside of my domain.

> Does this
> machine has to be a linux/netbsd/freebsd os or can a
> Win95/98 do the job? Any directions is very much
> appriciated.

The answer is yes, you can use a Windows box. The guidelines can be
found at:
http://www.afn.org/~raub/netbsd/bootpw95.html

The NetBSD diskless boot HOWTO can be found at:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

This also includes the link above.

Actually, this page should be updated to show that the Shark and the
arm26 and Risc PC use dhcpd with information about the filesystem. I have
a Shiva AccessPort ISDN router from Intel, and this must be configured
to forward DHCP packets. I forward them to a NetBSD/sparc 1.4 box.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/