Subject: Re: core dumped after a make build !!!
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/28/2000 10:37:36
--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 06:59:04PM +0100, Richard PLOIX wrote:

> I found the latest copy of the libc.so file and killed it.

> After that, I compiled and installed a new kernel.(1.4.3)
> I reboot the machine, and at this moment, all is OK!

Ok, fine.

> I go to /usr/src, and do a "make build", again.
> It stop after a few hours with the message :
> rmail.c "Bad format ........."
> *** error 1 ***
> or something like.

I think for this particular upgrade (1.4 or 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to 1.4.3) you
have to compile and install the new compiler first (after installing the
new kernel, as you have done).

The reason is that

a) we have marked a lot of library functions as taking a format string
b) we have tought the build system to complain about variable format strings
   at a lot of places, to find "format string vulnerabilities". This is the
   main reason for the last two weeks or so of 1.4.3 delay.
c) we tought gcc to recognize constant format strings in more places (e.g.,
  (... : ... ? ... ) expressions).

# cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs; make depend && make && make install

When this succeeds, you can do

# cd /usr/src; make UPDATE=1 build

(which will save you the make cleandir step; and recompiling of the programs
which you compiled already.)

[If you get any problems, I think the cleanest solution is to do a
binary upgrade to 1.4.3 at this point.]

Regards,
	-is

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN