Subject: Re: internet.tv hacking
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/28/2000 09:21:53
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Ben Harris wrote:

> After seeing lots of discussion on comp.sys.acorn.hardware on the subject,
> I gave in and spent GBP79.99 on a Bush IBX-101.  I've been poking it this
> evening, and it looks like making it run NetBSD/arm32 should be fairly
> easy.  I've created a project in the projects database for this (using the
> box's built-in Web browser).  FWIW, the box contains:
>
> ARM7500
> Lucent 33,600 ISA modem connected as podule 0
> Some PC super-IO controller for the parallel port
> 8Mb SIMM
> Some weird NVRAM (not the usual PCF8583)
> Not a lot else.

Might be a little interesting trying to boot it.

> <ponder> What's the cheapest (new) machine that NetBSD will run on? *grin*

Well, the above box is pretty much an NC which is pretty cheap. Doesn't
currently run on it though. I would have thought getting it to run on an
NC would be a good start as you stand a fair chance of being able to
netboot an NC (or run a boot from Zip disc or CompactFlash) unlike the
above.

Interestingly, the latest NCs I'm selling have the OS (potentially) in 8MB
flash, so we could wipe out RISCOS entirely and use an alternative
non-RISCOS bootloader. This might be easier than battling against how
RISCOS has left the memory map, etc.

--
Stephen