Subject: Re: Shared arm26/arm32 user code
To: rearnsha@arm.com, Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/2000 11:22:25
At 01:34 PM 11/25/2000 +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > A final thing that needs to be considered is that arm26 requires sections
> > to be aligned on 32k boundaries, so the linker will have to be set up to
> > arrange this.
>
>This will of course have a cost for arm32 people in that it will make
>their binaries bigger.  There may also have to be some work done in the
>kernel to force it to load such images on well-aligned pages, but I don't
>think it will affec

Actually, it won't.  There's no reason why the VA == file offset in an
ELF image, so aligning to 32KB boundaries shouldn't make images much larger.

As for loading these images, the NetBSD kernel will have no problem as it can
load ELF images with non-contiguous sections (I added that to suppport VAX
ELF).