Subject: Re: New bootloader is taking shape (nearly ready?)
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/2000 12:10:47
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I hope to be able to put all options and wishes in the wish list ... the
> bootloader itself supports more than 4 DRAMs so i am also curious about
> Kinetic compatibility... I'm especially looking for a RISCOS 4.xx machine
> with an ARM7 and VRAM ... then I at least know RISCOS 4 isnt biting it...

Yes it does, but the structure passed into the kernel doesn't (the bootloader
actually writes 5 dram blocks into the structure, overwriting the VRAM entry,
which makes your display do some very interesting things :)

This is something that needs looking into, and suggestions have been
made/discussed on ways to do it.  the current one being that the bootloader
fills up the 4 dram spaces in the structure, and then adds some extra boot
options to the kernel, this means that it'll work with old kernels (they'll
only use that in the structure)  but new ones can scan the options list for
more dram blocks and use them :)

Chris