Subject: New bootloader is taking shape (nearly ready?)
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/2000 03:48:30
Hi All,

the new bootloader for NetBSD/arm32 for the RiscPC and hopefully the Imago
is getting more and more form ... It is now that far that it loads the
kernel in RiscOS pages, relocates it, switches over to them and .... tada!
... its now running and finishing the rpc_machdep's initarm complete with
creating page tables and switching to them and calling main()....

however there the (ahum) shit happends now ... an adres fault :( ... if I
switch on the A bit in control register i get an alignment fault but if i
switch it off (like it should be i think) i get a panic, telling me that
there is no map for a fault address ? ... hmm.. maybe i cut away a line by
accident or so ...

i'll keep you in touch ... and i'll try to make a test set for others to
test.... It still needs some cleaning up since there are lots of
debug-lines commented out in and some things like starting the bootloader
with a kernel on UnixFS is still a bit rough as is that the size of the
current wimpslot has to be manually dragged bigger...

Also there is need for SA support in the bootloader itself and finished
support for non VRAM machines... in my design i took in consideration this
option but i hessitate a bit to open my RiscPC again to get the VRAM out
... but rather would like to check if its capable of running the display
in DRAM even if the VRAM is there... just a memory report munge i think

I hope to have a test-pack by tomorrow.... I wrote the bootloader from
scratch (BtNetBSD) and havily modified the rpc_machdep.c ... i havent
touched other files allthough i changed the stacksize of initarm() to see
if there was a stacksize problem for it kept crashing on stack related
stuff but that seemed useless ... i happened to wipe my kernel clean :(
I'll put it back to its default.

I hope to be able to put all options and wishes in the wish list ... the
bootloader itself supports more than 4 DRAMs so i am also curious about
Kinetic compatibility... I'm especially looking for a RISCOS 4.xx machine
with an ARM7 and VRAM ... then I at least know RISCOS 4 isnt biting it...

Take care,
Reinoud