Subject: Re: viewfinder (was Re: 1.5 installation crashing)
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/22/2000 09:29:26
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mike Pumford wrote:

> > eeks, that does scare me, it should show up as an unidentified card, not
> > as an ether3.  Hmm, maybe someone should mail the bloke who designed if
> > find out what podule id it has, at least that way we can id it.
>
> This may not be quite as bad as you think. Some Ether3 cards were delivered
> romless and so report a podule ID of 0x00000000 (manufacturer ACORN, podule
> id 0). There is a kludge in the podules file which maps this to an Ether3.
> Given that we have a way of using the bootloader to force detection of a
> podule as a specific type then this hack should be removed.
>
> The only really worrying thing is that the Viewfinder card appears to have
> no rational podule ID. This is a bit worrying as it makes it difficult to
> attach a kernel device too. This may be an issue if someone wants to use a
> viewfinder card as a console or X11 device at some point.

I've emailed John and he says that what happens is that what is visible in
the EASI space is remapped after boot from the podule id to the actual agp
card.  This is allowed by the acorn specs.  I'm still talking to john about
this, so we may come up with some way to either reset the card, or detect it.

Chris