Subject: Re: Providing pre-installed NetBSD/arm32 disks
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/21/2000 16:16:27
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mike Pumford wrote:
>
> > >     At a first guess:
> > > 	- Find someone with the time (probably the hardest part).
> >
> > I would imagine so. I don't think I can do it, at least not if people
> > expected a reasonably quick turn around on things. Can sysinst be scripted
> > to automate some of this or is that part of it still under development?
> >
> 	I would suggest a single manual install, add in a good set of
> 	packages and configure X etc, then tar up the contents onto
> 	another disk. Then write a simple script (I could provide)
> 	to disklabel, newfs, extract, and install boot blocks.
>
> 	Then to make a new disk would be:
> 		run hdform
> 		format ADFS partition
> 		run bt_riscbsd
> 		boot netbsd from another disk and run generate_disk script.
> 		reboot into generated disk and test
> 		ship :)
>
> > The rest of your strategy looks good though and it would be an excellent
> > way of making sure that the arm32 install system gets tested regularly.
>
> 	I'd expect it would only be manually installed once or twice per
> 	OS release (1.5, 1.5.1 etc). What may happen more often would be
> 	updating the set of installed packages. On a 15-20GB disk you can
> 	afford to have a _lot_ of packages installed :)

Yes but at least it would guarantee that the release install kernels
work. I know that they pretty much do for 1.5 (apart from some odd SCSI
crashes) but the 1.4 install kernels were obviously untested as they
did not even have the ramdisk image embedded in them. If I get home at
a reasonable hour I'm going to see if I can finish of the SHARKINST
terminal type hack and at least make a first stab at the SCSI crashes.
I think the effort that people put in to having a NetBSD presence at a
RISC OS show really help get the install kernels some exposure to real
testing. It would guarantee a lot of pre built packages then.

> 	We should try to setup something for the Dec2 show, to see what
> 	people think.

Yes. I'm still looking at transport arrangements for that but I do hope
to get there. Presumably 1.5 release CD's with packages can be done for
that show.

Mike