Subject: Re: viewfinder (was Re: 1.5 installation crashing)
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/21/2000 00:07:16
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Mike Pumford wrote:
> > > In message <200011200137.eAK1bZE02360@trigati.home.net> you wrote:
> > >
> > > The machine boots, and:
> > > probes podule 0 (disabled viewfinder) reporting it is an acorn ether3
>
> eeks, that does scare me, it should show up as an unidentified card, not as
> an ether3.  Hmm, maybe someone should mail the bloke who designed if find out
> what podule id it has, at least that way we can id it.

This may not be quite as bad as you think. Some Ether3 cards were delivered
romless and so report a podule ID of 0x00000000 (manufacturer ACORN, podule id
0). There is a kludge in the podules file which maps this to an Ether3. Given
that we have a way of using the bootloader to force detection of a podule as a
specific type then this hack should be removed.

The only really worrying thing is that the Viewfinder card appears to have no
rational podule ID. This is a bit worrying as it makes it difficult to attach
a kernel device too. This may be an issue if someone wants to use a viewfinder
card as a console or X11 device at some point.

Mike