Subject: Re: Bootloader 'Todo' List
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/16/2000 21:26:48
Hi Ben!,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Ben Harris wrote:
> > One problem however is that if i run the kernel with the physical memory
> > map the `start' ARM code has to run at 0x1000000 but the C main() has to
> > run in 0xf0000000 ... so maybe its wise to offer a very simple pagetable
> > with the specific area's section mapped.... and use that as the kernel
> > pmap bootstrap.
>
> I'm inclined to say that the right solution is to get away from
> start() needing to be at an odd address.

I stand a 120% corrected :)) .... i'll have to just make start() code
position independend as far as it isnt allready...

I've been working on a modified version of `BBBB' to boot NetBSD/arm32
from... Its allmost ready to really relocate stuff and i hope to have it
start NetBSD/arm32 tonight or tomorrow... i doubt it will run though for
i'll have to munge start() and the init_arm() in rpc_machdep.c to account
for the new situation. I've tried to keep as much as BBBB the same so to
ease merging into one bootloader allthough i've only changed the a.out
loader so it wont hurt NetBSD/arm26 loading :)

So work is in progress....

Cheers,
Reinoud