Subject: Kinetic speed test
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/15/2000 21:24:55
Hi,

I've just done a rough benchmark of the kinetic on a kernel compile, single
user mode boot, mount the filesystems and do make clean, then do time make
dependall

Machine spec:
SA kinetic card (233MHz)
Rapide card, runing root and /usr on primary master disk, /usr/src on
secondary master.

Standard memory time:
has 1x32MB and 1x16MB simms.
Real: 4034.67
user: 3309.8
sys: 510.7

kinetic card:
64MB of sdram (or which 60MB available, 4 MB is locked off it seems)
16MB simm needed to get risc-os to work.
Real: 3007.12
User: 2189.15
Sys: 565.33

In real terms the kinetic seems to only take 25% of the time to do things :)
This might actually improve is I had a smaller simm to try out as it'd start
to use the kinetic ram sooner.  Crossed my mind that the figures might be
even better in multiuser mode, as it's more likely to hit the kinetic ram
sooner.  In use it does seem faster when in multi user mode, but then it does
feel faster than I remember from 2 years back.

Anyway thought I'd let ppl see the figures and decide for themselves :)

Cheers,
Chris