Subject: Re: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Rolf Neugebauer <neugebar@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/13/2000 11:16:56
Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > > Right this has now been updated. Its the same kernel but the terminal type now
> > > defaults to vt100 . I did have to modify the vt100 termcap entry slightly. It
> > > appears that the RiscPC console does not emulate the vt100 alternate character
> > > set so I removed these entries from the termcap.
> > >
> > > Do these modification need to be worked into a PR?
> >
> > 	Defintely. Thinking about it more it would be nice if the terminal
> > 	type could be set automatically based on whether ths shark's pc0
> > 	is found in dmesg. That way the ramdisk could be shared between
> > 	machines.
> > 	Would you be willing to look at that? (sample shark dmesg attached
> > 	:)
> > http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/RPCINST.gz
>
> Well I think I have something that works. I have uploaded new install kernels
> for all arm32 machine types apart from A7000.
> The URLs are:
> http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/RPCINST.gz
> http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/CATSINST.gz
> http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/SHARKINST.gz
>
> The SHARKINST kernel should start sysinst with the terminal type set to pc3.
> The CATSINST and RPCINST kernels should start sysinst with the terminal type
> set to vt100.
>
> Any volunteers for testing?

The SHARKINST kernel boots fine on a shark and the console is usable,
i.e. keyboard etc. work and I can navigate through the menus using
cursor keys etc.

When using the /bin/sh from the menu the TERM environment variable is
set to vt100.

I haven't tried the full installation as my Shark is diskless.

Rolf