Subject: Re: cpu_switch (was Re: 1.5 Release documentation ...)
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/07/2000 10:22:05
On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, Neil A. Carson wrote:
> I'll bet compared to the cache invalidates you'll never notice the 12
> loops...

Where would you recommend working to get better performance?  At one time the
pmap_* stuff was a mess, and that was expected to be improved.  And I note
that you did some work on it, so is it safe to assume that pmap is not a
problem any more?

Are there other areas that need work?  (I know that an RPC will never fly
because of the memory speed)  I note from the TODO that things like irq
delivery need optimising, there's other things in there as well that may be
worth looking at.

Is the best way to find out to get a profiling kernel, and put some load onto
it? (first twisting the machine/asm.h ENTRY macro to do profiling info)

Cheers,
Chris