Subject: Re: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/05/2000 22:47:54
On Sun, 05 Nov 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
> On Sat 04 Nov, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Nov 2000, Mike Pumford wrote:
> > You can pass in the boot option to force a card to be something, eg:
> > podule1=0x00000002
>
> Yes, this is correct. Manufacturer 0x0000, product 0x0002.
>
> > will force podule 1 to be an Acorn SCSI 1 card, IE it don't probe it.
>
> and, it also probes the Mikrotek ScanMaker E3 scanner and Philips
> CDD2600 CD-R drive correctly on that Acorn card.
>
> Excellent. Now we have a workaround for the PowerROM.

Great :)

> > See podules.h in sys/arch/arm32/podulebus for the list of podule cards
> > and manufacturers.  (Note I only found this out a week or so ago when
> > delving into the guts of podulebus)
>
> Excellent work.

Well I actually went rummaging when I was looking at the SA options for a
kernel on the risc pc (see thread on Possible bug in arm32 sa optimisations)
It was the podule stuff that was broke as it did a ldrh ;)

> > Yep and builds are painful on RPC's.  Perhaps if I can twist my kintic
> > into doing some things it might speed up (using a RAPIDE card has speeded
> > lots of stuff up, makes CVS only take about 30 or so minutes on the main
> > src tree, perhaps I should time it)
>
> Will NFS be able to improve the speed? I will set up another NetBSD box
> with a 4x2GB CCD (10 ms drives), and if that is my SPARCstation 2, it
> should deliver very fast performance on the 20 MHz SCSI bus.

It might do, depends on how good your network card is, currentlly I'm
arranging my dirs over NFS, as I've oodles of space on my PC, but everywhere
else is a bit tight on space.

> What about netbooting a Risc PC from NetBSD/sparc or NetBSD/i386?
> Is that possible, and if yes, how?

Once the kernel is there maybe, Ben Harris has some sort of netbooting of
early Acorn's for the arm26 port.

Cheers,
Chris