Subject: Re: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/04/2000 11:33:21
> > No this is a different problem. PR 10539 applies to cards which still
> > have the original ROMS. The PowerROM issue is different as the PowerROM
> > uses the same device ID's as PowerTec SCSI cards and then misprobed by
> > the kernel. Som additional work in the podulebus probe code will be
> > required to deal with this issue. I don't see this making it into 1.5.
>
> It has now been proven that it does not fix that problem as expected.

Maybe a FAQ update indicating what to do if this occurs would be good. I think
an initial hack would be to have a podule override which would allow an
overide of the podule ID's when booting. As I already said a proper fix is to
beef up the podulebus probe code so that it can tell these cards apart.

> It may have been that kernel.
>
> Could you please compile a Risc PC install kernel for me so that I may
> be able to install NetBSD 1.5_BETA.
>
> After some more testing, I will raise a few PRs so that we can get on
> with getting more of the stuff working.

I can indeed but it won't be available till at least Monday. Building an
install kernel requires a full 1.5_BETA install and it will take a day or so
for my machine to build and install that.

Mike