Subject: Re: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/02/2000 09:36:32
> On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I've just committed the following to -current and will try to get
> 	them pulled up into 1.5, but without access to my RiscPC I have
> 	to get someone else to test, which means we may miss the 1.5
> 	deadline...
>
>         PR 8759 - NetBSD corrupts NVRAM for RISC OS 4 machines
>                 sys/arch/arm32/dev/rtc.c        1.11
>                 sys/arch/arm32/include/rtc.h    1.6
>
>         PR 10539 - NetBSD hangs when probing Acorn SCSI card
>                 sys/arch/arm32/podulebus/sbic.c 1.19

These are now tested and confirmed to be working correctly.

> > As expected, the Acorn SCSI card with a PowerROM lead the Risc PC into
> > a hang, so I had to put podule1.disable in the boot loader extra
> > options.
> >
> > The kernel I used is the one that Chris made for the Epsom show.
> >
> 	Would that be fixed by the patch in PR 10539?

No this is a different problem. PR 10539 applies to cards which still
have the original ROMS. The PowerROM issue is different as the PowerROM
uses the same device ID's as PowerTec SCSI cards and then misprobed by
the kernel. Som additional work in the podulebus probe code will be
required to deal with this issue. I don't see this making it into 1.5.

> > > hmmm.  Is this any better in 1.5 alpha or beta?
> >
> > Unfortunately I have been unable to test that as the kernel panics on a
> > dead wd0 IDE drive when sysinst is trying to scan the drives after
> > having asked me whether I want to continue with the install to a new
> > drive (the first option in sysinst).
> >
> > The details are:
> > Sysinst install to harddrive
> >   - "Shall we continue?" Yes
> >      => wdc0:0:0: lost interrupt
> >         Type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
> >         Non-emulated page fault with intr_depth > 0
> >         Data abort: 'Translation fault (page)' status=007 ...
> >         Stopped at inq_entry+0xa0 ldr r2,[r7,r9,lsl#2]
> >         db> trace
> >         _mi_switch
> >         _ltsleep
> >         _biowait
> >         _filecore_label_read
> >         _readdisklabel
> >         _wdgetdisklabel
> >         _wdopen
> >         _spec_open
> >         _vn_open
> >         _sys_open
> >         _syscall
> >
> > I managed to get the networking up and running on my Etherlan 600 (ne0),
> > and stuck the dmesg (/kern/msgbuf) at:
> > http://www.thomassen.priv.no/riscpc.dmesg.15alpha
> >
> > More information can be found at:
> > http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/MyRiscPC/
> >
> > I would like to congratulate the people who have fixed the problem with
> > ne0 that required it to be configured in RISC OS before booting NetBSD.
> > That is no longer necessary. Well done!
> >
> 	I think that owuld be Mike Pumford :)

Only if he was using the 1.5_ALPHA kernel uploaded from my FTP site. I
have only got this piece of code working recently and have not yet got as
far as submitting it as a PR.

Mike