Subject: Re: ELF
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/01/2000 22:15:32
On Wed, 01 Nov 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Dave Daniels wrote:
> > What is the time schedule for switching to ELF format instead of
> > a.out in NetBSD/arm32? I ask because the bootloader will almost
> > certainly have to be modified to handle kernels which are in
> > ELF format. If so, it should be added to the 'things to do'
> > list.
>
> Not having looked at the internals of the arm32 bootloader(s), but
> by using libsa's loadfile() you don't need to write any ELF specific
> code - it's all there already.  For netbooting, you're usually
> constrained by what format the firmware/PROM/BIOS understands.

I don't believe that the bootloader for Acorn based hardware uses libsa (I
may be wrong, and it'd be good to know)  All boots on currently supported
acorn hardware goes into Riscos (no choice, it's where the roms are I think)
The bootloader has to map things around.

> In short - I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Is there any major gain to doing so?

Have we plans in the near future to switch to ELF? (by near I mean next
release, 1.6?)

Wouldn't a move not require the kernel to be ELF, IE userland goes to elf,
kernel is a.out, and then eventually moves to ELF.  eg 1.6 userland to elf,
1.7 kernel to elf?

Cheers,
Chris