Subject: Re: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/01/2000 21:31:48
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> > They're not the only PR's open awaiting something to happen (some are over a
> > year old!)
>
> I can imagine.

	I've just committed the following to -current and will try to get
	them pulled up into 1.5, but without access to my RiscPC I have
	to get someone else to test, which means we may miss the 1.5
	deadline...

        PR 8759 - NetBSD corrupts NVRAM for RISC OS 4 machines
                sys/arch/arm32/dev/rtc.c        1.11
                sys/arch/arm32/include/rtc.h    1.6

        PR 10539 - NetBSD hangs when probing Acorn SCSI card
                sys/arch/arm32/podulebus/sbic.c 1.19

> > > I think that both of these should be fixed before 1.5 is released, and
> > > especially the former.
> >
> > Yes, but it's a matter of time on someone's part.
>
> OK, I can't do much about the former, but I can do something about the
> latter, if I can find some time to do it.

	If you can that would be excellent - if anyone wants to take a
	pass through the install notes and make suggestions that would
	be much appreciated.

> As expected, the Acorn SCSI card with a PowerROM lead the Risc PC into
> a hang, so I had to put podule1.disable in the boot loader extra
> options.
>
> The kernel I used is the one that Chris made for the Epsom show.

	Would that be fixed by the patch in PR 10539?

> > > Also, PR 9226 also is still at open.
> >
> > hmmm.  Is this any better in 1.5 alpha or beta?
>
> Unfortunately I have been unable to test that as the kernel panics on a
> dead wd0 IDE drive when sysinst is trying to scan the drives after
> having asked me whether I want to continue with the install to a new
> drive (the first option in sysinst).
>
> The details are:
> Sysinst install to harddrive
>   - "Shall we continue?" Yes
>      => wdc0:0:0: lost interrupt
>         Type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
>         Non-emulated page fault with intr_depth > 0
>         Data abort: 'Translation fault (page)' status=007 ...
>         Stopped at inq_entry+0xa0 ldr r2,[r7,r9,lsl#2]
>         db> trace
>         _mi_switch
>         _ltsleep
>         _biowait
>         _filecore_label_read
>         _readdisklabel
>         _wdgetdisklabel
>         _wdopen
>         _spec_open
>         _vn_open
>         _sys_open
>         _syscall
>
> I managed to get the networking up and running on my Etherlan 600 (ne0),
> and stuck the dmesg (/kern/msgbuf) at:
> http://www.thomassen.priv.no/riscpc.dmesg.15alpha
>
> More information can be found at:
> http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/MyRiscPC/
>
> I would like to congratulate the people who have fixed the problem with
> ne0 that required it to be configured in RISC OS before booting NetBSD.
> That is no longer necessary. Well done!

	I think that owuld be Mike Pumford :)

> A couple of other problems I have seen:
> 1) I am using a custom made monitor definition file (MDF) for my HP
>    A1097C monitor. This only supports 1280x1024 in 70 Hz. I started the
>    boot loader and defined the screen mode to X640 Y480 C256 F60 as my
>    other monitor (see above) supports that. When I booted and switched
>    to this monitor, that did not help at all. A shift-boot had to be
>    done to solve it, and then it worked fine.
> 2) Sometimes the computer hangs a long time before the colour stripes
>    appear.
> 3) After a ping from sysinst, the screen is not updated properly, and I
>    therefore am unable to see that it was successful.

	On that final point, could you try exiting from sysinst, setting
	the terminal type to vt100, and starting sysinst again?

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --