Subject: Re: A7000+ install problems
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/28/2000 11:07:38
In article <00102700234602.02765@pinky>,
   Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps if we calculated this on the fly and played with it better that would
> help?  Another option is to make the boot loader query for vram (if there's a
> way on the Risc-OS side) and say excuse me not vram or dram allocated...

The bootloader already calculates the amount of VRAM in the
machine and passes the total to the kernel when NetBSD is started
in a structure. The 'videodram' option is something entirely
separate. As far as the bootloader is concerned it does not exist.
It is passed unchanged to the kernel as a command line option.
(Confused yet? The kernel is passed a load of information in a
structure and other items are supplied as command line options.)
It would be possible to add code to the bootloader to check for
the videodram option if there is no VRAM and to add a suitable
value if none was found. IMHO it would probably be better if the
application !btriscbsd checked if the machine had VRAM and put a
default value in the videoDRAM writable icon if there was none
available but hacking the bootloader would probably be easier.

Dave Daniels