Subject: Re: RiscOS 2000 show report
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/27/2000 16:12:58
In article <Pine.NEB.4.29.99999.0010231725510.22973-100000@localhost>,
   David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> wrote:
> 	Action items from the show:

> 		- We need to find out if we can distribute memfix inside
> 		  !BtRiscBSD for RiscOS 4 users.

This is needed for people with the Kinetic card for sure. The
problem is that the SWI OS_Memory with R0=7 that is used by the
bootloader is broken with RISC OS 4.03 but memfix cures it.

> 		- !BtRiscBSD defaults to 1024x768 - users with monitors unable
> 		  to display that resolution need to exit a config file to
> 		  run - that should be fixed.

This is wrong. The second screen of the !BtRiscBSD configurer
options allows the screen resolution to be set. I have found that
with NetBSD 1.4.1, 640 by 480, 1024 by 768 and 1280 by 1024 work
fine but the screen is corrupted in 800 by 600.

If you do not specify one of the resolutions given above the
console driver appears to default to 1024 by 768. Perhaps 640 by
480 or 800 by 600 (once it is working) would be better.

> 		- The number of supported resolutions should be expanded.

Is this tied in with the previous point?

Don't quote me on it, but I have a vague recollection of seeing
some monitor mode definition files in the arm32 kernel source.
Maybe I should have another look...

> 		- Need to determine if !BtRiscBSD can boot gzipped kernels.

It does not. It assumes that the kernel is unpacked, but how
complex is the code to un-gzip it? Although I do not know what
would be involved, I cannot see, in principle, any major
difficulties in adding support for gzip'ed kernels.

>                 David/absolute
> 			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --

Dave Daniels