Subject: Re: A7000+ install problems
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/27/2000 00:23:46
On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> > > 	Is the A7000 special with respect to needing the correct amount
> > > 	of video RAM set in the bootloader? Does anyone know how to probe
> > > 	that?
> >
> > I just guessed at the amount.  I just randomly chose 1024K.  Later on I
> > also tried 2048K and that worked as well.  So, I don't think it matters
> > that much.  I'm not using X yet, it might be more important for that.
>
> 	Wasn't there something special about the A7000 and Video RAM (such
> 	as it didn't have any and just used some of the normal RAM?)

Yes, you use the DRAM, as can a RPC with no VRAM.  The amount needed is the
same as under Risc-OS, eg 1024x768 at 256 (1byte) colours is about 768KB.

Perhaps if we calculated this on the fly and played with it better that would
help?  Another option is to make the boot loader query for vram (if there's a
way on the Risc-OS side) and say excuse me not vram or dram allocated...

Perhaps it's time to start up that wish list of things to try to get into 1.6
(and smaller stuff into 1.5.x)

I know that there's a list of PR's that need to be looked at.

Cheers,
Chris