Subject: Re: NetBSD stats
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/26/2000 10:54:21
--raC6veAxrt5nqIoY

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:23:13AM +1100, James Triggs wrote:

> Can anyone provide me with pointers to the following information for
> NetBSD/arm32:
>=20
> - Uncompressed kernel size (minimal)

What is a minimal kernel? Startup code and idle loop could well be pressed
into a few kilobytes, but this will be totally useless...

Nowadays, a generic kernel for any of the supported machines is a few
megabytes big, due to inclusion of half a dozen network protocols, encrypti=
on
formats, all possible hardware, all known filesystem types, etc. Depending =
on
what you want to do with it, you can probably get it down to less than one
megabyte and still have some i/o drivers in it, but I never tried.

> - typical kernel RAM usage

Depends on lots of things. The disk buffer cache can be manually configured
to a fixed size or autoconfigured to a percentage of RAM. The default value
is about 5% of overall RAM size, but you can set this to any value you like.

Same applies for the network buffer pool. It is normally limited to
256kbytes, but can again be configured to any size you like.

> - Context switch time
> - thread switch time

No idea. I suggest you run something like hdbench (from the NetBSD pkg
collection); I think it can measure those values.

Regards,
	-is

--raC6veAxrt5nqIoY

--raC6veAxrt5nqIoY--