Subject: 1.5 Release documentation and Power-tec/PowerROM problems
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/2000 16:02:26
There has been a lot of talk about installing NetBSD/arm32 1.5 lately,
and this prompted me to check on the status of two of my PRs:
port-arm32/8786
  [open doc-bug] Prep file for RISC OS is not included with Install
                 documentation
port-arm32/8787
  [open doc-bug] Prep file for RISC OS needs to be updated

There does not seem to have been taken any action on either of them, and
that is very disappointing.

I think that both of these should be fixed before 1.5 is released, and
especially the former.

I hope to be able to test NetBSD/1.5_BETA on my Risc PC 600 with Power-tec
SCSI-2, and two Acorn SCSI cards if I can get the original ROMs for the
latter in time.

Also, PR 9226 also is still at open.

My problem is that my time is very limited, but I will test any kernel
that people throw at me.

I also discovered a problem with (I think) 1.4.x that it just panics when
I try to run the install kernel on my Risc PC with my current Power-tec
primary drive formatted to 1.5GB for RISC OS. This is with RISC OS 4.02.

Gary Partis of Partis Computing (http://www.partis.org.uk/) has agreed to
help anyone in the NetBSD team asking for information, so I think that
someone with kernel knowledge should contact him
(mailto:gary@partis.org.uk) to get the details needed.

There are also the problems with PowerROMs being identified as Power-tec
cards, but there does not seem to be a PR on that. I could submit one if
no-one else picks up that ball.

Again, Gary has come up with some information that I can post to this list
if needed, or you could contact him. The information is very technical in
nature, so I think that a person familiar with the Risc PC kernel
architecture should contact him for details.

My Risc PC is (was updated) at http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/MyRiscPC/

Well, enough said for now.

I can be contacted through my home page at http://www.thomassen.priv.no/

TIA!