Subject: Re: 1.5a2 installation kernel??
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/2000 15:33:22
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> : 	Uploading Chris's complete snapshot to
> : 	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/snapshot/20001010-1.5_ALPHA2
> : 	now - kernels are already there, and the sets should finish
> : 	shortly.
>
> Where is this RPCINST goop?  This needs to be in-tree; we already have
> 1.5_BETA out for arm32!

It is in tree. It is an install kernel built using the in tree RPCINST
config. What is missing from the NetBSD tree is Makefile rules which
prepare these kernels as part of a full release. At the moment they
have to be constructed by hand. AFAIK it's built the same way as the
Shark and CATS install kernels SHARKINST and CATSINST.

The manual steps assuming you are in the root of the source tree are:

cd distrib/arm32
make
cd ../../sys/arch/arm32/conf
config RPCINST
cd ../compile/RPCINST
make depend
make
mdsetimage RPCINST ../../../../distrib/arm32/ramdisk/$(OBJDIR)/
ramdisk-15_ALPHA.fs

15_ALPHA needs to be replaced with whatever the current OS release is.
Its generated by the ramdisk Makefile IIRC. The built ramdisk contains
sysinst and the other things required for the install to work.

The kernel build and mdsetimage bits then need to be repeated for
SHARKINST and CATSINST.

Mike