Subject: Re: 1.5a2 installation kernel??
To: M Pollard <M.Pollard@bristol.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/2000 11:48:03

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Mike Pumford wrote:

> > IDE. There have been no updates to the Cumana SCSI driver AFAIK. I
> > suspect Chris Gilbert may have 1.5ALPHA2 install kernels as a side
> > effect of his CD preparations for the RiscOS 2000 show NetBSD stand.
>
> one emailing to matt@drunk.custard.org would be cool ;)

I only have 1.5ALPHA install kernel which I uploaded a while back to
http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/RPCINST.gz

> > The card/cable fault error is not a problem. My machine sometimes boots
> > reporting that but the drives work just fine. The problem is that
> > unless bb_riscbsd is run there is nothing to tell NetBSD where the end
> > of your filecore partition is. When formatting the IDE disk did you
> > leave a space for NetBSD? IIRC the Simtec formatter can do the same
> > magic that bb_riscbsd does anyway assuming that you don't make the
> > filecore partition take up the whole disk.
>
> The drives appear function fine, even though it does report a fault. I
> did leave a bit of space at the end of the 8gb disc...6gb to be precise
> ;) The rest is a 2gb filecore partition
>
> I assume that bb_riscbsd reporting very odd values isn't helping?? Is
> bb_riscbsd riscos 4/F+ compatible

Yes bb_riscbsd needs to report a positive value and then write this
value into a spare slot in the filecore bootblock. I don't know if this
is F+ compatible as I am still running with RISCOS 3.7. Has anyone got
NetBSD installed on the same disk as a RISC OS4/F+ filecore format
partition? bb_riscbsd is BASIC perhaps the maths just overflows for
2GB+ partitions so needs a little tweaking.

Mike