Subject: Re: RiscOS 2000 show report
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/2000 09:31:17
> 	There was quite a lot of interest in NetBSD/arm32, including quite
> 	a few people who had used earlier versions (1.2, 1.3), also tried
> 	ArmLinux, and were interested in trying out the latest version.

Hopefully they will find things a little nicer. IMO NetBSD 1.5 is a =

massive improvement over 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4.

> 	    - Patch to avoid RiscOS 4 NVRAM corruption (PR:8759)
> 		Dave Daniels submitted a patch to enable NetBSD to
> 		update the NVRAM checksum (required for RiscOS 4).
> 		If anyone out is running RiscOS 3.{5,6,7} can they please
> 		test this patch to confirm it does not affect them?
> 		If we get rapid enough response we should be able to get
> 		this into the 1.5 release.
> =

I can test this at the weekend. Is there anything specific that needs =

to be checked?

> 	    - Packages
> 		- Chris built around 70 binary packages for 1.5, and is
> 		  continuing to build more. The initial set is now up
> 		  at: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/arm32
> 	        - We hope to get chimera, kfm, and some other graphical
> 		  browsers uploaded in a while.

I have a 1.5ALPHA2 RiscPC which could be left building a chunk of =

packages if someone drops me a list. I keep prodding at mozilla from =

time to time. I have modified the ARMLinux assembler stubs required for =

xptcall but I have never been totally satisfied that I have got them =

right. If someone wants to have a shot I'm happy to pass them on.

> 	    - !BtRiscBSD
> 		- Can people confirm if the RiscOS4 fixed version of !BtRiscBSD
> 		  also works under 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7?

Again I can try this at the weekend.

> 		- We need to find out if we can distribute memfix inside
> 		  !BtRiscBSD for RiscOS 4 users.
> 		- !BtRiscBSD defaults to 1024x768 - users with monitors unable
> 		  to display that resolution need to exit a config file to
> 		  run - that should be fixed.
> 		- The number of supported resolutions should be expanded.
> 		- Need to determine if !BtRiscBSD can boot gzipped kernels.
> 		- Is !BtRiscBSD 'max proc' configure option still needed?
> =

IIRC it is still picked up by the kernel. I suspect it could be =

removed. The default for !BtRiscBSD should be 640x480@60Hz this will be =

safe for almost any RiscPC/A7000 class machine which were shipped with =

SVGA monitors. The mode support is actually compiled into the kernel at =

boot time.

> 	    - hardware/software support
> 		- We need people to test their ide, scsi, and other cards
> 		  under 1.5 and report back what works and does not.

I have already submitted a PR (with a patch) to make the Acorn SCSI =

card work in 1.5. IIRC the patch has not been applied in current or on =

the 1.5 branch yet.

The machine also has a Simtec IDE interface and i-cubed Etherlan 600
Network card which both work just fine. =

>		- We should approach more hardware vendors for samples and
>	 	  documentation.

Indeed. It would be nice to get in touch with the people producing =

newer RISC OS machines so that NetBSD can be ported to them as and when =

they are released.

Mike

Mike