Subject: Memory map guidelines
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Alstrup, Kurt <kurt.alstrup@intel.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/06/2000 15:23:10
 I am about to do an attempt to port the NetBSD OS to an IXP1200 processor,
which contains an SA-1100 compatiple CPU core.

 Being new at NetBSD I wonder if somebody knows where to find informations
on the finer details of getting the arm32 kernel running on this CPU. I have
got a CATS systems with NetBSD 1.4.2 which I use for reference (thanks Izumi
Tsutsui for helping out earlier).

 The information I'm looking for is areas like:

 - In general what are the requirements of NetBSD with respect to the
physical address map, ie. must RAM be a contiguous block starting at address
0?

 - The kernel build for the CATS system links the kernel to address
F000:0000. However, the load prints a message that it calls address
1000:0000 after loading the kernal image into memory and the physical memory
is as far as I can determine a contiguous block starting at address 0.

 - The footbridge co-processor maps the ROM (a flash device on CATS) to
address 0 until first write (to what I'm not sure) whereafter the SDRAM will
be visible on address 0. The IXP1200 does not have that capability, so can I
put a ROM device at address 0 permanently and have the RAM at eg c000:0000 ?

Any input or refences are highly appreciated,

Regards,
Kurt Alstrup