Subject: Re: Shark netboot question
To: Mark Hayter <mdh@sibyte.com>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alexrd@earthlink.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/06/2000 17:34:09
On Friday, October 6, 2000, at 10:18 AM, Mark Hayter wrote:

>It seems the OFW checks the Flash type before using it. (Amazing -- in =
the
>PC world it would have just blasted away regardless). The warning is =
comming
>from your existing firmware (it is not a problem with the images you
>downloaded), it is uncertain if it can correctly program the flash part
>theat is in your shark. We used AMD parts in the DEC machines, but =
Funai
>probably used someone else...
>
>A quick search with google suggests that 0x04 is the manufacturer code =
for
>fujitsu (so if you open the box you will probably find a PLCC flash =
chip
>from Fujitsu with a number somthing like MBM(?) 29F040 on it).
>
>For in-system programming this should have the same interface as the =
AMD
>part (although I have never tried it and datasheet examination would be
>needed to be sure). In which case the firmware can probably be patched =
>look for 04 instead of 01. (I don't have a shark handy to look)

Yeah, that's what I figured. Something about the 4 and AMD screamed =
manufacturer's code to me. Where can I start looking at how to patch the =
firmware? (again, I understand the risks here, but without network, this =
machine is just an electric paperweight anyway... albeit a paperweight =
with OFW :)

Mark