Subject: Re: arm32 1.5 builds?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/2000 10:30:27

> > > So you have a running version, don't you ?
> > >
> > Yes. I have done a couple of 1.5_ALPHA builds on arm32. The first was
> > from NetBSD-current 1.4R. The second was built on the previous
> > 1.5_ALPHA build. I also built full installation kernels and X11 for the
> > second snapshot and burnt a couple of CDs for some friends.
>
> So, what patches did you make to the distrib/arm32 and etc/etc.arm32
> directories? Last I tried, the ramdisk didn't fit its disktab entry, and the
> the enlarged ramdisk was silently truncated when mdsetimaging it, and the
> enlarged kernel still wasnt able to find the md0a (Error 22), and on that
> iteration it was too late to think anymore, so I went to bed.

I'd forgotten about that. I enlarged the disktab entries and increased
the md image size to 3800. I can generate some patches from my source
tree if it would help. This requires a patch to /etc/disktab to
increase the image size. The ramdisk image size is also part of the
kernel config so you will need to bump that as well.

In detail I made the following changes:
distrib/arm32/ramdisk/Makefile

Modified RDSIZE to 3800.

Modified /etc/disktab entry for install ramdisk to:

install-ramdisk|Installation ramdisk:\
        :ty=simulated:se#512:nt#2:ns#19:nc#100:\
        :ta=4.4BSD:pa#3800:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:\
        :pb#0:ob#0:\
        :pc#3800:oc#0:

Changed the MINIROOTSIZE option in the install kernels to 3800.

I intend to send-pr this along with the patches to fix it.

Mike