Subject: Re: Network Boot.
To: Cameron <hiryu@transvirtual.com>
From: None <kbaker3@ic3.ithaca.edu>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/09/2000 20:53:02
I netboot my sharks all the time (no local disk)...  use tftpboot and
dhcpd...  they are both easy to configure...  does the cats have
openfirmware?  on the shark I just say "boot net"...  it sends a bootp
request out and dhcpd responds...  Bootp is a subset of dhcp which is not
dynamic...  You have to add a static host entry...  like...

OTHER STANDARD DHCP PARAMETERS

  host sharky {
   server-name "par.home.null";  -- server to look for kernel
    hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:81:66:fd; -- address of machine
    fixed-address sharky.home.null; -- (note:address MUST resolve to
					numbers)
    next-server par.home.null;	-- server to look for kernel
    filename "netbsd_netboot-SHARK.gz";  -- file to load via tftp
    option root-path "/mnt/storage/arm32_filesystem"; -- where to find its
								nfs root
  }

-----
If the Creator had said, "Let there be light" in Ankh-Morpork, he'd have
gotten no further because of all the people saying "What colour?"
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms)

Keith Baker			kbaker3@ic3.ithaca.edu
Ithaca College			(607) 375-2602
Theatre Production Arts		http://thelighthouse.dhs.org/keith/