Subject: Re: Full duplex Ethernet on Sharks?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/08/2000 10:25:35
kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein) writes:
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way the newer Ethernet stuff works, but
> I thought devices had the ability to negotiate this with the other end.
> So I'm wondering if:
>
> - Anyone had used full-duplex Ethernet successfully on the Shark.
> - If so, did it just magically work, or did you have to do some
>   extra magic on the other end?
>
> Oh, if it matters, I'm still using 1.4.1 on these machines.

(1) 10Mbit full-duplex ethernet has to be explicitly configured on
both ends, it will not autoconfigure.  (at least, as far as i know...)

(2) i don't recall there being any support in the driver, in this
case, to actually configure it, even if you try to do it manually.

However, it's been quite a while since i've thought about it.

chris