Subject: Full duplex Ethernet on Sharks?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/08/2000 13:04:28
I remember hearing about the ability for the Sharks to do full-duplex
ethernet (even though they only have 10BaseT).  I just bought a shiny new
Netgear 10/100 Ethernet switch, so I decided to try it out.

When I simply plugged it in, the FDX light on the switch did not come
on.  I played around with various mediaopt setting via ifconfig, but
nothing I did made the switch think that it was a full-duplex port.

When I did turn on full-duplex, Ethernet throughput went way down, which
leads me to think it was one of the classic "one side thinks it's full
duplex, but the other side doesn't" problems.  Unfortunately, since this
is an unmanaged switch, there's no way for me to say, "Force FDX on this
port".  I tried playing around with various OpenFirmware paramters to set
full-duplex by default, but apparantly I don't know enough OpenFirmware
magic to make it happen.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way the newer Ethernet stuff works, but
I thought devices had the ability to negotiate this with the other end.
So I'm wondering if:

- Anyone had used full-duplex Ethernet successfully on the Shark.
- If so, did it just magically work, or did you have to do some
  extra magic on the other end?

Oh, if it matters, I'm still using 1.4.1 on these machines.

--Ken