Subject: TODO List: Bootloader Source Available
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/25/2000 11:24:16
Hi All

Concerning the recent discussion about a NetBSD/arm32 bootloader, I have
approached my company (Cathexis Advanced Technologies), and they have
authorised me to release the source code for a bootloader that I wrote for
NetBSD on the EBSA285.

The bootloader does the following:
	Fetches a kernel from either block 1 or block 12 of flash (depending on the
state of the software switch, we use this as a way to boot a backup stable
kernel if our primary one fails)
	Loads it into RAM
	Sets up the MMU
	Scans the PCI Slots and initialises the devices
	Boots into NetBSD.

I do not see this as an ideal bootloader: it has been written for a specific
purpose and piece of hardware, and it has also been written in arm
assembler, in one big file i.e. it is untidy and clumsy. I do however
believe that releasing it will enable a developer, or team of developers (in
which I'd like to be included) to develop a good bootloader much more
quickly than writing it from scratch. And it does work, for those who just
want to get something running on their EBSA.

Now, a question: how do I handle the release? I don't want this to cause 50
different versions of the bootloader floating around out there, but rather
decent versioning and stuff. Ideas?

Let me know, and we'll get going!

Cheers
 Bruce