Subject: Re: Promoting NetBSD (was: Re: vm/vm.h)
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/19/2000 11:25:34
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> >         Not to everyone's taste, and I don't expect NetBSD to be able to
> >         compete head on with large linux distributions on 'tick box'
> >         features, but the unix user market is growing, and there is a
> >         small percentage of that market that would enjoy NetBSD more.
>
> How many tick boxes can we get on number of supported platforms :)
> Oddly enough it feels very much more like AIX than other unices, or
> should that be AIX is more like BSD than sys v?  Either way I like it.

	I think someone described unix to a group of IBM engineers, and
	told them to tell their friends, then their friends went away
	and wrote AIX. Its very unix-like, but randomly different when
	you expect it least :)

> I was quite surprised to see the 1.5 alpha one, it's been curses'd ;)
> Last install I did was 1.2 :)  And it was a lot easier to install over
> the arm linux cd I got a few weekends back.

	Well feedback and suggestions for a better install are _always_
	welcome.

> >         Also it may just help someone later who wants to use a non GPLed
> >         OS on an embedded system that shares some of the same hardware.
>
> Which is perhaps an appealing factor, much as the GPL is an interesting
> idea, the idea of one day possibly making money from something appeals
> more to human nature ;)  However NetBSD has a reliance on GPL as well in
> that we use gcc (amongst other gpl software)

	I'm a big fan of free software, but I think people should have
	a choice. There is room for both BSD and GPL licences - I prefer
	BSD, others prefer GPL. No need to get worked up :)

	NetBSD uses some GPL programs, but the source tree is split into
	BSD and GPL, and the GPL is kept out of the kernel, which makes
	it easier for people who might want to build a GPL free system
	(if they so choose). Again, choice.

> >         Yes - linux has picked up a very pretty admin interface, behind
> >         which hides a swap of the foulest nature. Pray to god you never
> >         have to do anything other than follow the obvious of admin tasks,
> >         or you are in for an unhappy time of wading through it all.
>
> Anyone used smit on AIX?  now that's interesting, it'll happily live
> with your style of admin, albeit hacking the /etc files, using smit,
> using cmd line utils, whatever, it's all intergrated/copes with what you
> throw at it.

	I've used smitty briefly - seemed usabe, but I'm too much of
	a 'now what is actually happening here' person...

> Having tried to play with stuff in Redhat 6.2, I got somewhat lost,
> perhaps the days of hand editing etc files on linux are over...

	Not entirely - its getting more complex but its still workable,
	just dont ask to do anythign unusual :)

> I believe we may have an advantage here, in that Risc os is costing a
> fair amount to upgrade, so people may start looking for something else,
> bit like the arm26 port is on a now old bit of kit, that can't upgrade
> past risc os 3.11.  If you can sell a CD for a tenner to people and a
> pamphlet with easy to follow guidelines we'd probably have some takers.

	Definitely - maybe make an arm32 and an arm26 CDs, filled with
	the distribution set and binary packages. Anyone interested in
	helpng at this?

> Perhaps getting some machines together (anyone for a network of them :)
> and seeing if we can get a cheap/free bit of space at the next Acorn
> show might help, perhaps even someone doing a bit in the theatre (I
> believe the epsom show is in 2-3 months)  Have a few CD's to buy (and
> take orders for more, be more sensible to take orders/pre-orders than do
> more than needed)  Does mean we'd need a cd sorting out with X on it as
> well, or those used to the gui of Risc os will be lost.  If we could get
> mozilla on it, (or some other browser) and instructions for setting up
> an internet link we'd be onto a winner as currently you need to buy a
> web browser and connection software for risc os.

	It would probably make sense to have a machine with a CD burner
	there, to cut additional CDs as needed. I should have my sharks
	back by then, so would be able to bring one with appropriate
	networking kit.

	If someone can get the details of the show organisers, and we have
	a body or two to help I think this is an excellent idea :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --