Subject: Re: how should I build install kernels?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/18/2000 22:25:23
> how do I build the install kernel (for Shark, in case this matters)?
>
> make in /usr/src/distrib/arm32 make a ramdisk, then stops...

As of 1.4.2 the build goo didn't exist, so I made local patches to do it.

Then 1.4.2 ran way long, and by the time it was over I simply didn't have
the time or the spare energy to get everything into -current back then.

Now that my other big project is over (as of July 4th weekend) I am slowly
bringing the architecture farm back to life. According to kenobi@toddpw.net,
/usr/src/distrib/arm32/ramdisk/Makefile:

release: $(IMAGE)
        gzip -c -9 < $(.OBJDIR)/${IMAGE} \
                > $(RELEASEDIR)/installation/misc/${IMAGE}.gz
.for instkern in A7INST CATSINST RPCINST SHARKINST
        cp ../../../sys/arch/arm32/compile/${instkern}/netbsd netbsd.tmp
        mdsetimage -v netbsd.tmp ${IMAGE}
        gzip -c -9 < netbsd.tmp \
                > $(RELEASEDIR)/installation/kernel/netbsd.${instkern}.gz
.endfor # A7INST CATSINST RPCINST SHARKINST

I need to get a few more machines up to -current, and synchronize with FvdL
and anyone else working in src/distrib, because I want to develop a proper
MI framework for building ramdisks, miniroots, boot floppies, etc,etc. I've
already posted to tech-install back in Feb/March about some of it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com