Subject: Re: is there netscape for NetBSD-1.4.1 on arm32?
To: Justin Stringfellow <justin.stringfellow@uk.sun.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/05/2000 09:58:03
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 07:21:52PM +0100, Justin Stringfellow wrote:

> >I would guess Mozilla these days would be unusably slow on any ARM
> >machines out there; has anyone been able to try it and actually get a
> >usable rowser out?
>

> er, I compiled it ("milestone build 15" actually) on a 110mhz Sparc4 the
> other day; don't even try it unless you have a good gig of free disk space,
> and a lot of time. Startup was sloow and the browser seemed very flakey...
> I couldn't say that it would be useful for "normal use".
>
> Maybe I just configured it wrong..?

Don't think so.

A very old Mozilla version needs about 60 seconds to start up on Motorola
68060 @ 50 MHz. Netscape 4.7x needs about 12 seconds to start up on a
300 MHz UltraSparc.

As people tend to make it slower and slower, I guess it will be unbearable
on any machine that is slower than the sum of all supercomputers world-wide
when I first got BITNET access.

Regards,
	-is