Subject: Re: NetBSD on RiscPC Kinetic Card
To: Dave Daniels <Davedan@arcade.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/01/2000 20:30:06
Dave Daniels wrote:

>   IS> Provide memory priorities, as you can already, probably, and
>   IS> ignore memory that is much too slow. e.g., on A3000 and
>   IS> A4000 Z2 memory should be completely ignored ;-)
>
> The problem on a machine like the RiscPC is that there is no
> concept of fast and slow memory. You would have to make
> assumptions about which area of memory is which. On the
> other hand, given that the RiscPC is very much a minority machine
> today it probably would not matter too much if you kludged it.

I believe that the kinetic card info was given to aleph 1, partly for
the pc card stuff, but also for arm linux support, anyone considered
asking them for the technical info?  In this more open acorn world they
may well give it. I imagine there should be some way to detect that it's
a kinetic and if there's not we'll have to use a boot option.

To kludge sounds wrong, rpc maybe a minority machine, but better it's
still better to do it right if we can.  Linux is starting to catch on,
but so might netbsd on the RPC, armlinux is a very dodgey hack to get
the newest version (debian based one) installed, but aleph 1 are working
on this.