Subject: Re: CATS crash with heavy IDE use
To: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/25/2000 17:31:58
On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Robert Swindells wrote:

> >> I've noticed this before, but today I've sat down and tested. When two
> >> drives are in heavy use on a CATS it completely locks. For instance if
> >> either of the two following commands are run separately, everything works
> >> fine. If both are run at the same time the machine will completely lock.
>
> >This affects diskful Sharks too, although much less so with -current
> >compared to the 1.4 branch. It has also been reported on some i386
> >installations.
>
> My CATS will lock up under heavy use with just one drive.
>
> I can reproduce it every time if I try to build the Jikes Java compiler.

I seem to recall a similar discussion with ARMLinux on the CATS, so maybe
there is a hardware element to the problem as well as an OS-related
problem. Perhaps someone who remembers better than I could elaborate? I've
also seen the problem on a RiscPC under heavy swapping which I put down to
UVM funnies (as I would have with the Jikes example above). However, the
tests that I did were simple extended reads from the raw device. The
problem certainly seems to be internal IDE related. Has the problem been
seen with SCSI on a CATS or with a Promise IDE card?

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill