Subject: Re: FPU for a Shark
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/22/2000 10:40:52
On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 07:18:02AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> is it possible to equip a Shark with a FPU? It is how do I do it and what FPU
> do I need?

No, not really*).

The StrongARM (which would be ARM"10") (like all higher-performance ARM
variants)  does not have the coprocessor bus on external pins, so you can't
connect the FPA10 hardware to it. Besides, I guess a Strongarm doing
softfloat calls is faster than the old ARM FPU ;-)

I think the last ARM core which had an external coprocessor bus was
ARM6 (maybe and ARM7?)

Regards,
	-is

*) Of course, you have those two PCI and VLB on strange connector
connectors...  you could design something that connects there, which is
accessed as peripheral, and write a specialized compiler that uses
them, or make the kernel trap for FP instructions and let the kernel
use the hardware to execute them...

But I guess that is not what you're prepared to do...