Subject: Installation of ncurses
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/2000 10:45:57
Hello there.

I have been trying to build and install ncurses v5.0, until now
without much success.

When I execute the command ./configure, it summarizes with

      bin directory: /usr/bin
      lib directory: /usr/lib
  include directory: /usr/include
      man directory: /usr/man
 terminfo directory: /usr/share/terminfo

** Will overwrite non-ncurses termcap.h
** Will overwrite non-ncurses curses.h

Make also runs fine and appearantly everything compiles ok,
but when I try to execute any of the test-programs I get the
error:

Error opening terminal: xterm.

I guess the problem is that I have not installed a proper
terminal database to use with ncurses, but unfortunately I
have not found anything about what to do.

I already have the files /usr/share/misc/termcap and
/usr/share/misc/termcap.db installed, but I have also downloaded
the termcap.src and terminfo.src files and saved them as
/usr/share/termcap and /usr/share/terminfo and build the
/usr/share/termcap.db, but obviously I am missing something.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get the ncurses test-programs
to run. And I would prefer not to do a 'make install' before I have
verified that the test-programs really work.

If it is of any importance, then I am still running (only)
NetBSD v1.3a :-(

Best regards
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:  2:234/181.9		Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3a on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.