Subject: Re: Shark
To: Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/28/2000 06:00:46
Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>  wrote:
 > Well, I would really like to have such a machine, but it's not
 > possible to get one anywhere. Even the Free Hardware Foundation
 > doesn't want to give one of their 60 machines away...

This is unfair.  As I said to you in private, not a week goes by that
I don't get mail begging me to 'give away' a shark.  If I was in a 'giving
mood', they would have all been gone long ago and then you'd have something
different to complain about.

In reality, they weren't given to the "Free Hardware Foundation", such as
it is.  They were given to "me" for a specific purpose, which they are
fulfilling.  Part of the agreement, if I remember correctly, is that I
might be required to return them at any time.  In fact, there's a sticker
on each and every one that says "property of digital equipment corp" or
some such.  Obviously, it's highly unlikely that anyone from there is going
to ask for them back, but I'm quite sure I don't want to be chasing everyone
down in the event that this happens.

As I also said to you in private, the 'Free Hardware Foundation' is not a
real entity.  It's mostly a joke.  We even have a "don't ask for stuff"
section on the web-page which you clearly ignored.

I don't see how having a desire to run NetBSD gives you some sort of right
to complain when someone else won't give you the hardware to run it.