Subject: Re: NIC Question (arm/26)
To: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/25/2000 11:24:01
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> I've been trying to boot NetBSD/arm26 over the weekend on one of the
> A5k's but for the life of me I cant work out if the Ethernet card I
> have is an Ether1.

I suspect no-one else cloned the Ether1, so if it's not got an Acorn logo
and "AKA25" on the back, it's something else.

> AFAIK, it's a Atomwide 'A-1006' 16-bit podule
> with 10base2.  It has an Access+ ROM on board but I cant work out what
> sort of card it is as Atomwide have nicely glued a sticker over the
> top of the controller IC.  It originally came with an L4 fileserver.
> Any ideas as I know absolutely squat about Acorn Ethernet cards?

Erm, does it have a driver module on the ROM?  This will probably be
called something beginning with "Ether".  If so, what is it?  This
usually identifies the hardware fairly well.

If NetBSD manages to start up far enough to find the card, the "not
configured" line it prints might be useful -- you can look up the
manufacturer and product IDs (which appear in that order in angle
brackets after the description) in sys/arch/arm32/podulebus/podules and
then see which of the drivers there mention it in their probe routines.

If it turns out to be something supported by NetBSD/arm32, I suppose that
pushes getting podulebus drivers transferable up my priority list.

--
Ben Harris
Unix Support, University of Cambridge Computing Service.