Subject: Re: Project arm26
To: None <erestor@gmx.net, port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/2000 11:46:48
[ I hope the arm32 types don't mind our cluttering up their mailing
  list with this. ]

In article <38ECAAEF.823B3D3A@gmx.net> you write:
> I have at home an Archimedes 310 without harddisc, 1MByte RAM and
>RiscOS 2 and a R160 (? I guess), which is something like the A440 with
>RiscIX as second operating system, with a SCSI-harddisc, 8MByte RAM,
>RiscOS 3 and RiscIX 1.2(?).

That sounds like an R260/A540 to me, unless it's a _very_ hacked
R140/A440.

> I started to look at NetBSD, as it should be ported to many platforms
>and I hoped, that it can replace or complement RiscIX, which is also a
>child of BSD. And I will like to have one nice operating system an these
>two computers and my other two Intel-clones.

I'm afraid you can't expect to run NetBSD on the A310 unless you get
more RAM for it.  NetBSD/arm26 won't currently boot on a machine with
less than 4 Mb of RAM, and I doubt it'll ever work on <2Mb machines.

> When I saw, that NetBSD/arm32 is now official, I thought about porting
>it to the Archimedes. As someone else has started to do this, I would be
>happy to help.

Ooh good.  What kind of things are you good at?  Current things on the
task list include a new bootloader, a decent cross-build environment
and device drivers for everything.  I'll probably start on the
cross-build environment soon, once I get the machine I want to build
on working, and if you don't want too much pain you might be well
advised to wait till then.  Oh, and someone'll have to port libc soon,
but I'd like it to be me.

Hmm.  Would anyone be interested in a binary of my current development
kernel and bootloader to go "ooh" over?

--
Ben Harris