Subject: Re: Driver hierarchy
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/20/2000 11:14:17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> I already answered this; my answer was "why not drop the requirement for
> a single kern.tgz instead?"  I note that mac68k is a weird case, they have
> kern.tgz and kern_sbc.tgz because unfortunately both kernels are needed
> due to really nasty SCSI problems.

Note that part of this dichotomy is because no one has fixed up the booter
and kernel to support both out of one kernel. The only difference is in
which SCSI driver is attached. AFAICT the only thing keeping them both out
of the same kernel is that they will both match at boot. If we had a way
that the booter could tell one or the other, but not both, to attach at
boot, we wouldn't need two kernels.

Take care,

Bill