Subject: Re: Sharks and IRDa
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/08/2000 13:06:15
>I seem to recall that somebody reported having replaced his Shark IR receiver
>with a IRDa-capable one... please speak up, I'm considering to do the same
>and can't find the message.

That's me!  It worked fine, actually (I was able to run a getty on that
tty and login via my laptop).

Some caveats:

- I didn't actually do any IrDA _protocol_ work .... that would have
  taken a lot of work (something which I keep meaning on doing, but I
  never have).  I just treated it as a serial port.
- Because it's half-duplex, you can't do something like PPP.
- Doing this requires twiddling some bits in the Super IO chip to make it
  work.  I don't have that code anymore, but IIRC it wasn't very tough.
- The module I used (a Sharp one) has a different pinout and required the
  removal of a resistor to make it work.

My message on this topic was:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm32/1998/10/31/0005.html

I _think_ I might have some extra receiver modules left over (I think I
conned the local Sharp rep out of 5), so I could send some to you if you
want to try it out.

--Ken