Subject: Re: Powertec card stops boot
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
From: Kjetil B Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/07/2000 14:29:51
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> > I seriously wish someone would look at it / fix it. I'm running a small
> > herd of SCSI devices from a Cumana SCSI card, several of which I need to
> > use professionally.
> >
> > I don't need to use the SCSI side to run NetBSD, but I'm not prepared to
> > unplug the SCSI card for the convenience of what would be, for me, mostly
> > a hobby OS.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> Remove your scsi card; comment out the device line (you may want to remove
> all the scsi entries) from the RISCPC kernel description and build a
> kernel without the driver.  Install your new kernel and then put your scsi
> card back in.  Without the driver in the kernel, it will never try to
> access the card.

I think that I have received the necessary information to solve this
problem. Or, at least I have the information needed to figure out
if the card is a SCSI-3 card.

The problem here is that the SCSI-3 card uses a different PLD than the
SCSI-2 card used, and also a different controller chip.

The information about which type of card it is is directly accessible
on podule address &2000 in the lower 4 bits. The codes for the different
cards can be found in the ROM resources in RISC OS in the SCSIDriver
MSG1 file. You can find this by using menu over the Apps icon on the
icon bar, then select Open '$' and browse down in the Resources dir.

Look at the Cardxx values.

I cam also in the process of finding out how we can support PowerROMs
through a dialogue with the developer of these cards.

I hope this helps, and if noone else takes the plunge in a tries to
sort this out, then I will do that in time.

And, while talking about SCSI, I think that the sfas driver that is
used as basis for the Cumana SCSI-2 and Power-tec SCSI-2 should be
converted to use the generic (MI?) ncr53c9x driver in sys/dev/ic.

Almost all SCSI cards in the Acorn market can probably use either the
5380 or the 53c9x driver.

I am not so sure about the SBIC driver (WD33C93), though as I haven't
seen any other generic drivers for that. There really should be made
a generic driver for the SCSI chip as that is used in the Amiga, Mvme68k
and Arm32 ports.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt