Subject: Re: Installing IDE drive in SHARK
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@simon.sfsu.edu>
From: Steve Woodford <swoodfor@bluews.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/06/2000 11:31:57
Jeremy Cooper wrote:

> I am trying to install 1.4.1 onto a DNARD SHARK with an internal IDE drive
> and am having a bit of trouble.
>
> 2. I am using Todd's 23 Dec 1999 snapshot kernel instead.  But it has a
>    few problems.  Most notably, sysinst complains that it can't find
>    /etc/disktab.

You may well have to roll your own disktab entry for the drive.

> I'm having an especially rough time because the hard drive that I am using
> has never been initialized with an MBR.  It seems that both the kernel and
> the SHARK firmware are adamant that the drive have a valid MBR, but
> NetBSD/arm32 doesn't ship with any tools to edit it!  Don't you think this
> is rather important?

Neither the kernel nor the firmware require an MBR. A valid NetBSD
disklabel is required though, which you will be able to create once
/etc/disktab is setup.

FWIW, I found it easier to get the Shark up and running over NFS, then
installing/copying everything over to the disk from there.

Cheers, Steve